10 Chain Stores that Welcome Dogs
Your dog must be on a leash, and some stores may require that you carry him in your arms or a pet carrier. Due to health codes, only service dogs are usually allowed in any indoor areas where food is sold or served.
Since the dog-friendly policy often varies by location, be sure to call your local store in advance to confirm that both you and your dogs are welcome.
- Banana Republic – Although it started out selling tropical-themed clothing for men and women, this chain with 600 stores around the world now sells a variety of modern, refined apparel, and allows customers to bring their dogs along.
- Barnes & Noble – Why buy books online when you can bring your pooch along to browse and purchase them in person? This bookseller currently has more than 680 locations across the U.S.
- Bloomingdale’s – This upscale department store chain, which began way back in 1861, allows dogs to shop along with their two-legged customers. Just make sure you have a little poop bag in addition to the store’s famous “little brown bag.”
- Gap – Gap stands for Genuine American Product, and the largest specialty clothing retailer in the U.S. is genuinely dog friendly.
- Home Depot and Lowes – Some of these home improvement stores allow your pooch inside to help you, say, pick the perfect paint color and lumber for a dog house.
- Petco and PetSmart – Naturally these two major pet retailers allow your pooch to accompany you inside their stores. But be aware that if you want to drop off your dog while you shop, Pit Bulls are not allowed in PetSmart’s Doggie Day Care Camp.
- Pottery Barn – “Transform the place you live into the place you love” is a motto of this upscale home furnishings chain, where your dog is welcome to accompany you as you shop for the items to make that transformation.
- Restoration Hardware – This purveyor of luxury home furnishings, lighting, bath fixtures – and yes, hardware – has 100 dog-friendly stores in the U.S. and Canada.